Triumph Mayflower Saloon, Series 1200T was introduced in September 1949. This two-door, razor-edged, small car has 38-bhp 1247-cc side-valve engine mounted in an integral body/chassis structure with coil-spring IFS. Although the bodywork is basically a scaled-down version of the Renown, it is surprisingly roomy inside and has the same internal width (53 in). In October 1950 a limited-production Drophead Coupe version was announced but discontinued in December. Only 10 were made.
Triumph Renown Series 20ST Saloon is a renamed version of an earlier model, namely the 2000 Saloon (Series 20T) which, in turn, had been introduced in February 1949 to supersede the 1800 Saloon (Series 18T). Powered by the 2088-cc Standard Vanguard engine, this razor-edged saloon has a box-section type chassis which replaced the tubular type used on the 1800-with independent front suspension and Lockheed hydraulic brakes. Optional Laycock overdrive in June.
Roadster (prototype) is ambitious and very advanced model, revealed by Triumph in 1950. It is a Vanguard-engined sports car fitted with striking, aerodynamic bodywork and featuring fully retractable electrically-operated headlamp covers, curved windscreen, hydraulically-operated top, windows and seats, large boot with wind-down tray for the spare wheel and a transmission with three speeds and overdrive fourth gear as standard. Triumph decided, alas, that it was too complicated and expensive to produce and could not, therefore, be sold at a competitive price. Only two prototypes were built.
Podobnie jak Standard Vanguard, Renown może być wyposażony w skrzynię biegów "overdrive".
Na krótko pojawił się Mayflower w wersji Drophead Coupe, wycofany
w grudniu po wyprodukowaniu 10 szt.
W październiku zaprezentowano atrakcyjny "streamlined"
Triumph Roadster, zbudowany tylko w 3 egzemplarzach. Ma on elektrycznie otwierane reflektory, panoramiczną szybę, hydraulicznie podnoszony dach i boczne szyby i hydarulicznie regulowane siedzenia.
Reklama firmy Wilmot Breeden, która dostarczyła osprzęt hudrauliczno-elektryczny, sterujący otwieraniem dachu, okien, reflektorów i siedzeniami. Styczeń '51
The Motor YEAR BOOK, 1951 TRIUMPH ROADSTER
The 1951 Triumph Roadster model represents a complete break-away in style and appeal from the earlier models. Before entering, however, upon the many ingenious features incorporated in the bodywork it can be said that mechanically this is a shortened version of the current Renown saloon, the wheel base having been reduced to 7 ft. 10 in. and the rear-axle ratio being raised to 4.375 : 1. This gives the satisfactory litres-per-ton-mile factor of 3,520 at the quoted dry weight and road speed of approximately 69 m.p.h. at 4,750 r.p.m.
On the Roadster, however, four forward speeds are standard equipment, top gear being an overdrive on the Laycock-de Normanville principle. With this highly ingenious epicyclic gear the changes are made by a simple movement of the gear lever (there is no need to touch the clutch), the shift also being accomplished irrespective of the throttle position. When accelerating, the design of the gear ensures that there is continuous torque applied to the rear wheels throughout the whole of the gear-changing process, there being but a momentary passage through neutral when changing down into direct third.
On what may properly be considered top or fourth speed of the car the litres-perton-mile figure is reduced to a little under 2,900, but 2,900 ft. per min. is equal to 85 m.p.h. and the cruising speed at 2,500 ft. per min. piston speed is the satisfactory high figure of 73.5 m.p.h.
The engine is a developed version of that which has been used in the Roadster for the past two years, but by using a slightly higher compression ratio and two horizontal S.U. carburetters the power output has now been raised to 71 b.h.p. at 4,200 r.p.m., whilst lower down the scale the peak of the torque curve is now attained at 2,000 r.p.m. instead of 2,500 r.p.m., and is slightly higher than heretofore. The only other major mechanical change as compared with the Renown lies in the use of 11-in. diameter by 2¼-in. wide brake drums in the Lockheed system, which results in a substantial enlargement of the friction lining area, this now being 169 sq. in. per unladen ton.
This change has been made in the light of the higher maximum speed attained by the new car which is of the order of 85 m.p.h., equivalent to 4,800 r.p.m. on fourth gear.
It will be noted that this figure is some 10 per cent higher than that achieved on road test by the previous model, although the increase in engine output is only of the same order. From this it is apparent that the wind resistance of the new body is substantially lower than that of the old, a desirable feature which derives from the far smoother shape which includes a total enclosure of the headlights.
The appearance of the car is indeed particularly striking, and it should win international acclaim as an interpretation of the modern trend which is wholly distinctive and avoids the anonymous similarity which has infected body design on both sides of the Atlantic in the post-war period.
At the front end of the car there is a bold air intake orifice with horizontal chromium-plated slats, and on each side there are wide radius protrusions which form the leading edge of the body and house the headlamps. During daylight hours the radius is sustained by a panel which is held in position by a cross-shaft joined to an electric motor. The act of switching on the headlights simultaneously activates the motor, and the panels are swung downwards so that there is an unrestricted beam from the reflectors. Sidelights are separately mounted in the lower part of the bodywork.
The top of the bonnet is a one-piece pressing which can be opened on either side or, alternatively, quickly removed in its entirety, in which case the whole top half of the engine valve gear, induction system and electrical apparatus is entirely exposed. Inspection of the front end of the car is also facilitated by the way in which the chromium-plated grill can be quickly detached.
A deep recess in the scuttle provides accommodation for the battery and heater, the latter supplying air to both the interior and to ducts behind the windscreen and receiving fresh air through a conduit from the front end of the car.
The sides of the scuttle are also put to good use, in this case for mounting twin-matched loudspeakers within the walls of the double skin which is a characteristic of the body construction. On the left-hand side of the car there is also mounted a radio mast, which can be extended or retracted by servo power supplied by the manifold vacuum.
The bench-type front seat will carry three people on demand, but there is normally a wide centre armrest giving exceptional comfort for the driver and one passenger. An electric motor under the bonnet supplies power for an hydraulic ram which will move this seat back and forth over the range of adjustment provided, and the folding hood is also raised or lowered by hydraulic jacks.
The modus operandi consists in motoring the front seat fully forward, removing a latch on each side of the metal cover, releasing a central locking mechanism, and then swinging the cover up by hand through 90 degrees. A switch will then raise the hood and it can be pulled down on to the top rail of the screen by a pair of quick-acting clips. The metal cover can then be returned to its horizontal position and the seat moved back as required. A reverse sequence will fold the top with an equal degree of automaticity. Whether open or shut, there is a space immediately behind the rear seats which can be used for carrying small cases or parcels, access to which can be obtained by traversing the seat into its forward position as an alternative to use of the latching gear.
The door windows are also raised or lowered by hydraulic means, and ventilation of the car is supplemented by swinging triangular panels moved by a small crank and right-angled gear.
The back of the body is entirely devoted to luggage space and fuel tank, and access to the latter is obtained by opening the locker lid. which is made from a one-piece light alloy pressing.
It will be seen. then, that the rear compartment is deep and wide, and in no way obstructed by the spare wheel or fuel tank. The latter forms a deep bulkhead at the back of the locker and the former lies horizontally beneath it. Rotation of a threaded bar lowers the spare-wheel compartment on to the road and alternatively draws it up to the correct position after a wheel change has been effected. The rear wheels, incidentally, are enclosed with detachable spats which have concealed positive locks.
The doors are hinged at the front and the locks are of push-button type, the doors also being held in the fully open position by an automatic check-stop. Movement of the doors also automatically switches on the interior light embodied in the folding head, and the car has both twin rear lights and a reversing light.
The facia panel is laid out particularly neatly, with central grouping of the instruments, and both it and the steering wheel are leather covered, a further refinement being found in the use of Dunlopillo for the upholstery. Beneath the facia panel a parcels tray runs the full width of the car and this has a deep edge so that the contents will not be precipitated on to the floor as a result of rapid acceleration.
It will be evident that the designers have achieved a car of altogether outstanding performance in which there are a host of detail refinements which have never before been available in a British car of this price. As a highly attractive two-three seater model with a road performance adequate to all normal demands, coupled with the special virtues of the overdrive gear, this car should find enthusiastic acceptance in both home and foreign markets.
The Motor Year Book 1951