model Jupiter to trzymiejscowy kabriolet z 4 cyl, 4 suw, bokserem
o pojemności 1486 cm³ z hydraulicznymi hamulcami.
Silnik wywodzi się z konstrukcji zaprezentowanej w 1936
Jupiter zwyciężył Le Mans w swojej klasie.
Javelin Jupiter Mark I, Series SA, introduced in March 1950, have
originated as ERA/Javelin chassis in September 1949. Powered by a
flat-4, 1486-cc engine which give over 60 bhp, this open sports
model feature an aluminium panelled body with sweepingly curved
wings and a rear luggage boot which could only be reached from
inside the car. The whole front of the bodywork is hinged at the
Conceived by ERA and
taken over by Jowett in 1950, the Jupiter has tubular steel
chassis and aluminium over ash bodywork. Mechanically the same as
the Javelin with torsion bar suspension. Top speed of 85 mph.
Javelin have fully
hydraulic brakes from 1950.
Javelin na wystawie w Kopenhadze.
The Motor YEAR BOOK, 1951 BRITISH CARS OF 1950 JOWETT JUPITER
The genesis of the Jowett Jupiter chassis and a description thereof was contained in "The Motor Year Book", 1950, and since that time it has emerged as a complete car with a two-seater convertible body. Briefly to recapitulate the mechanical features, it may be said that the advanced design of the horizontally opposed engine is not confined solely to the disposition of the cylinders or to the use of an S.B. ratio of only 1.24 : 1. The engine casting is formed in two light-alloy sections which are die cast, these being split on the centre line of the crankshaft. The main casting also provides the water spaces into which cast-iron liners are inserted, and it is interesting that these liners are for some part of their length spigotted into the crank case and are thus water-cooled for only part of their length.
The crankshaft itself runs in three steel-backed, copper-lead bearings, and there is a wet sump with a capacity of rather over two gallons. Full-flow filtration is provided for the oil and passing through the filter oil is led to a gilled tube cooler before passing back into the bearings.
With this type of engine there are two cylinder-head castings, each containing two combustion chambers, and there are in-line poppet valves in each head. The head material is cast iron, and on each side of the engine is a Zenith carburetter offering a rather higher air flow than the units used on the standard Javelin engine. Amongst modifications which have been introduced to raise the power output by some 20 per cent is a modified camshaft. The compression ratio used will vary (between 7:2 and 8:1) with the availability of different grades of fuel in export markets.
Reference has already been made to the use of tubes for the frame members, and, following Grand Prix racing practice, these are made in chrome molybdenum steel, with a wall thickness of only 1.6 mm. for the large main tubes and 1.27 mm. for the struts and reinforcing members.
Each front wheel is independently suspended on two wishbones of unequal length, the lower of which is connected to the longitudinally disposed torsion bar provided with an adjustment whereby the trim can be manually determined. The back axle is held on two parallel links and connected to transverse torsion bars, a very short cross tube fulfilling the function of a Panhard rod. With an arrangement of this kind the cross-racking stresses on the frame are reduced at the front end of the car and the extended tail is entirely relieved of stress and so has merely to carry its own weight and that of the luggage.
An anti-roll bar is used to connect the rear wheels.
Very direct and positive steering is provided by means of a rack and pinion gear with short swinging track rods, there being only four ball joints in the entire assembly.
Turning now to the bodywork, this consists of a two-seater with the flowing lines combined with the vertical treatment of the radiator grille, which seem likely to become the next stage in the development of the British high-performance open car. In this case the body designer has steered a mid-way course between the stark simplicity characteristic of the competition car, the redundancy of ornament which is sometimes the product of the stylist let loose, and the grossness which often results from amateur efforts in aerodynamic form. The body is built over a tubular framework which is fixed to the chassis by insulated mounting points so as to reduce noise and the transmission of vibration. It is panelled throughout in 16-gauge aluminium, and both the windscreen and the wind-up side windows are made in laminated safety glass. The screen, moreover, is quickly detachable so that if the car is used for competition work it can readily be run with aero screens. In normal form, however, weather-proofing is completed by a hood made from beige cloth which folds away completely out of sight behind the bench-type seat. The latter is made from hide stretched over a cellular rubber cushion, and in addition to two normal occupants a small child could also be carried in the car.
The facia panel has an attractive walnut finish and, in addition to the usual instruments, carries a 5 in. tachometer and both oil and water temperature gauges. The bonnet and wings are built up into a one-piece structure hinged upon the scuttle line, and when raised it is therefore possible to carry out any necessary work not only on the engine but also on the front suspension units and steering connections. The long, rather flat tail is also made in one piece, and to give maximum rigidity of structure the skin is unbroken. This means that access to the luggage space is to be obtained from behind the seat, but fitted suitcases are supplied so as to make the best possible use of the luggage-carrying capacity. The spare wheel is also carried in the back of the car and is readily removable therefrom.
The Motor Year Book 1951