Classic Car Catalogue
E-Type s.2 - discontinued
E-Type s.3 - new model in March
XJ 13 - prototype
The XJ 13 prototype was built in 1967 for testing the new V12 Jaguar engine. Unveiled this year after the new power unit was launched.
JAGUAR V-12 'E' TYPE
D/head: £3,139 (incl. P.T.)
Coupé: 13,387 (incl. P.T.)
The announcement of a new 5343 c.c. V12 engine for the E-type back in March tended to overshadow other important changes to this great sports car. But at the same time the short-wheelbase version was scrapped, a new engine sub-frame was introduced to reduce the turning circle and the E-type (whether you have the new engine or the 4.2 litre six cylinder) inherited the anti-dive suspension of the XJ6. But there's no doubt the V12 engine, built of light alloys, is superb. Think of 0-100 in 16 seconds and a top speed of 150 m.p.h. plus ...
2.8: From £2,456 (incl. P.T.)
4.2: £2,862 (incl. P.T.)
One of these days, the XJ6 is to be offered with the new V12 engine-but not yet! At the moment, Jaguar cannot even keep up with demand for the six-cylinder models, with 4.2 litre and 2.8 litre versions of the famous XK twin overhead camshaft engine. This is a Car of the Year award winner, with remarkably high standards of roadholding and handling as well as high performance and a luxury interior. It has independent suspension all round, on coil springs, and there are servo-assisted disc brakes on all four wheels.
London show review
2.8 Litre (R6 cyl, 2 ohc, 2792 cc, 140 bhp)
4.2 Litre (R6 cyl, 2 ohc, 4235 cc, 173 bhp)
Saloon (wb: 9' 1'')
E-Type s.2 (6 cyl, 2 ohc, 4235 cc, 265 bhp) - discontinued
Fixed Head Coupé (wb: 8' 0'')
Open Two-Seater (wb: 8' 0'')
2+2 Fixed Head Coupé (wb: 8' 9'')
E-Type 4.2 s.3 (6 cyl, 2 ohc, 4235 cc, 171 bhp) - new model
E-Type V12 s.3 (V12 cyl, 4 ohc, 5343 cc, 272 bhp) - new model
Roadster (wb: 8' 9'')
2+2 Coupé (wb: 8' 9'')
New features of the Series 3 E-Type
• A new Jaguar ENGINE — the 5.3 litre V12 to supplement the 4.2 litre six cylinder 'XK' engine.
• A new version of the ROADSTER — with the 2+2 Coupé wheelbase Longer,, roomier and with increased luggage space.
• ANTI-DIVE front suspension geometry — provides improved roadholding,, particularly under braking.
• WIDER TRACK — for even higher Standard of roadholding and cornering. .
• DISC BRAKES — improved cooling by use of ventilated discs at the front and air scoops at the rear to match the performance of the car.
• STEERING — rack and pinion with power assistance Standard. All models have new dished steering wheel with leather covered rim; collapsible upper and lower columns for safety; new rack mounting for even better response.
• HEATING AND DEMISTING — improved, high capacity system. Through-flow ventilation on 2+2 and hardtop models.
• TURNING CIRCLE — improved to 36 ft.
• FUEL TANK — increased to 18 gallons capacity.
• AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION — now offered on roadster as well as 2+2 Coupé.
(V12 cyl, 4994 cc, 502 bhp; wb: 8' 0'')
XJ 13 jeżdzi od 1967 roku, ale nikt dotychczas nie wiedział o jego istnieniu. Przez cały ten czas służył do testowania 12 cylindrowej jednostki napędowej Jaguara.