Since the introduction of the Wartburg in 1955 and the Trabant in 1957, IFA makes exclusively commercial vehicles. Among them is the P3 built exclusively for the national army. It is a further development of the old P2 produced between 1953
and 1957. The engine has cast alloy cylinder block and the body is bigger. it is built in VEB Kooperationszentrale Automobilbau Karl-Marx-Stadt (Chemnitz).