Classic Car Catalogue
Minx - ost. rok
Minx (Phase I) - nowy model we wrześniu
Minx for 1939 feature some detail changes, including a restyled dashboard. The 1184.5-cc side-valve Four engine is retained, but a redesigned gearbox with synchromesh on second, third and top gear was introduced. The basic Saloon costs £163.
Hillman Fourteen Four is the only other Hillman model produced besides the Minx: the Sixes had disappeared in favour of the Humber Sixteen and Snipe.
A new, third-generation of Minx was launched in September. Although it looks very similar to its predecessor if features Rootes first chassis-less body structure.
(R4 SV, 1185 cc; wb: 7' 8'')
Saloon De Luxe
THE GREATEST VALUE IN THE HISTORY OF MOTORING
Petrol Economy of 47 m.p.g. achieved in Official Test by the Royal Automobile Club (Certificate No. 788).
There are four models in the 1939 Hillman " Minx" range — the Saloon; the Touring Saloon, which is an entirely new model; the Saloon de Luxe; and the Four-seater Drophead Coupé. Petrol economy is an outstanding feature. Over 40 miles per gallon has consistently been obtained in practical tests; in actual fact, 47 m.p.g. was recorded by the Royal Automobile Club in an officially observed test (Certificate No. 788). This amazing economy is made possible by the redesigned carburation system.
Another important development is the new all-silent four-speed Synchromesh gear-box. Altogether, there are no less than twenty new features on the new models, in addition to all those which have made the "Minx " so famous. The Hillman "Minx" is the only 10 h.p. car in the world which has been steadily developed, year after year, to higher and higher standards of engineering. It is this consistent progress which makes its reliability and value unsurpassed to-day.
LIST OF MODELS:
SALOON DE LUXE
FOUR-SEATER DROPHEAD COUPÉ
ANOTHER 20 DOMINANT NEW FEATURES
1. NEW ECONOMY. Over 40 M.P.G. - 47 M.P.G. by R.A.C Observed Test. Certificate No. 788.
2. New 4-speed all-silent Synchromesh Gear-box: instant oil check device and filler.
3. New rustless chromium-plated radiator grill. New bumpers with overriders.
4. New Engine features: increased smoothness,, silence, reliability, economy: — New Economy Carburation, New Super-cooled Valves of special Valmax steel; many other refinements for greater reliability.
5. New and simpler Cooling System, deeper top water tank.
6. New Engine Mounting by bonded rubber cushion giving maximum smoothness.
7. New Silent Rear Axle.
8. New " Smoothride" Suspension: automatic variation to load and road surface. New piston type shock absorbers retaining positive adjustment.
9. New roominess in front compartment through forward position of gear-box. Gear-lever ready to hand but entirely clear of driver and passenger's knees.
10. New "Easi-lift" Jacking System. Eliminates stooping and soiled clothes.
11. New Luxury chair-type adjustable front seats; deeply cushioned backs and shoulder supports — perfect comfort for everyone.
12. New design Instrument Panel; quick-vision instruments; new safety oil warning light. New Petrol Gauge accurately marked in gallons or litres.
13. New 5-in. speedometer, flood-lit for night safety.
14. New chromium finish on double-acting draughtless ventilators.
15. New safety all-steel armour top roof.
16. New capacious glove and parcel recesses.
17. New quick action "snap-on" petrol filler cap.
18. New moulded facia unaffected by climatic conditions: unscratchable.
19. New attractive Colour Schemes; choice of seven Body and Upholstery combinations on De Luxe Models.
20. New Headlights giving longer and broader beams.
PLUS ALL THE MANY FEATURES WHICH HAVE MADE THE MINX SO FAMOUS
With the hood right down, the Coupé becomes a fine open Touring Car
This Minx Coupé looks most attractive with the hood rolled back in the Coupé de Ville position.
A considerable amount of lugpagee can be carried on the Touring Saloon and the Saloon De Luxe, both these models having a roomy luggage locker accessible from either inside or outside. The lid of the locker forms an "armless " platform, thus placing no restriction on size of trunks carried. Al manner of luggage can be carried — the "Minx " is the only light car to hold four sets of golf clubs in the locker. The spare wheel can be removed without disturbing anything. A luggage locker is provided on the Saloon, but this is accessible from the inside of the car only, and there is no platform.
No.87, W.M. Couper, Hillman Minx, start from John o’ Groats, 73rd and 20th in up to 1500 cc class.