The Shanghai factories are part of a large industrial complex that manufactures vehicles of all kinds, diesel engines and spare parts. The first passenger car prototypes left the factory in 1958. In November 1960 the Feng Huang (Phoenix) appeared. A very low volume production started in 1962. In 1964 the car was renamed the Shanghai. After the Cultural Revolution, the current version appeared with the name Shanghai SH 760B; a facelift with larger headlights and longer tail. Estimated annual production about 2000 vehicles.
A new prototype appeared in 1978, model name SH 771. The development began in 1974 based on the German Mercedes-Benz W-116. The engine however came from the Hongqi. The car is big with the wheelbase of 3070 mm and total length 2330 mm.