Rover 1948

P3 60 (R4, 1595 cm³, 51 bhp) – new model
P3 75 (R6, 2103 cm³, 72 bhp) – new model
Land Rover (R4, 1595 cm³, 50 bhp) – new model


Rover P3

 

Rover, in February 1948, replaced their previous range of 10, 12, 14 and 16 HP cars by two new models, designated the P3 Series. There are two basic models, the Sixty with four-cylinder and the Seventy-Five with six-cylinder engine. The two cars share the same 9 ft 2 ½ in wheelbase chassis with coil spring ifs, with minor differences to front suspension and gearbox. The difference in engine length is made up by an elongated bell-housing in the case of the shorter Sixty engine. P3 Series models, both in four-cylinder Sixty and six-cylinder Seventy-Five form, are available with either four- or six-light four-door body styles, without price difference, i.e. both Sixties sold at £1080, both Seventy-Fives at £1106. Compared with the previous Rover Twelve, the external differences are mainly in the bumpers, horns, fog lamp position and rear lamps. They are also shorter and wider. The engines are entirely new and feature overhead inlet and side exhaust valves (F-head). Cubic capacities are 1595-cc (69.5 x 105 mm) and 2103 cc (65.2 x 105 mm) for the Four and the Six respectively. Power for the "60" is 51 bhp giving a top speed of 70 mph. The "75" have 72 bhp from six cylinder engine, and top speed of 75 mph. Brakes are hydro mechanical and synchro is on third and top, but freewheel feature aids gear changing. Traditional Rover interior, with lots of leather and wood.



Saloon


Coachbuilders


 


Tourer z nadwoziem Graber'a.


75 Tickford at Earls Court.

 


Land Rover 1948


Rover's new four-wheel drive utility vehicle went into quantity production in July 1948, after having made its world debut at the Amsterdam Motor Show in April. It have the same engine as the Rover Sixty.
 


Prototyp Land Rovera był pojazdem o niezwykle prostej konstrukcji. Ponieważ z założenia miał służyć głównie do prac polowych, fotel jak również kierownicę osadzono pośrodku. Zastosowano silnik 1,6 z Rovera P3.


Rover, in 1947, re-engined and re-bodied a war-surplus American Willys 'Jeep' which, after further development, became known as the Land-Rover. The prototype shown, powered by a Rover four-cylinder engine, is unusual in having the steering wheel, pedals, etc. in a central position, in the fashion of an agricultural tractor. Windscreen, hoodsticks, and many other components are standard or modified 'Jeep' units.


Premiera Land Rovera odbyła się 30 kwietnia, podczas salonu samochodowego w Amsterdamie.


The 80 inch wheelbase Land Rover, with a 1.6 litre petrol engine, made it's world debut at the Amsterdam motor show 30 April 1948. Unlike the prototype, the production models have right- or left-hand drive, doors, and numerous other modifications. It feature full-time 4WD with a front free-wheel mechanism which could be locked by a "ring-pull" control. The headlights are mounted behind the radiator grille and side lights are on the bulkhead.