Motors Ltd of West Bromwich, who before the war had built Ford
V8-engined Specials, announced a new luxury car in 1946. Actual
series production commenced in 1948, there being a four-door
Saloon and a four-door Convertible. The eight-cylinder OHV engine,
produced by Henry Meadows Ltd, have a capacity of 3860 cc and a
maximum output of 130 bhp. In September 1949, this engine was
replaced by the 4-litre Six of the Austin A125 Sheerline.
After the war, a
Jensen straight eight 6-seater saloon was announced, and was to
use a newly-developed Meadows 3860cc engine. However, the Meadows
unit proved to have annoying high-speed vibrations, which the
engineers were unable to cure. A few were built with leftover Nash
engines and then a 3993cc six from the Austin Sheerline was
The Austin alliance paved the way for sharing of
resources for a sports tourer, and this resulted in the supply of
Austin A70 chassis for a new Jensen Interceptor.