Jaguar 2.4-Litre Saloon four-door sports saloon was introduced in the autumn of 1955 and feature a full-width body which is unmistakably Jaguar but with more compact dimensions than previous saloons. Horn grilles are located either side of the XK140-type radiator grille. The Special Equipment model carry a Jaguar mascot on the bonnet. The 2.4-litre (83 x 76.5 mm) 112-bhp engine (25B) is the latest development of the famous six cylinder twin carburettor double-OHC XK unit. Wheelbase is 8 ft 11 ½ in, overall length 15 ft 0¾ in, width 5 ft 6¾ in. Tyre size 6.40-15.
Using basically the same engine as has powered four Le Mans winners since the war (as also, of course, does the Mark VII) the range of XK 140 two- and two/ three-seaters provides all that the sporting driver could want in performance. The brilliantly styled coachwork of these cars was first shown as far back as 1948 and still looks very good indeed-evidence that a "right" design continues to look right.
Continuing their policy of combining an outstanding performance with flowing body lines and a surprising degree of comfort and luxury of finish-and selling all at a relatively low cost-Jaguars have found no reason to make changes in the Mark VII this year. Its connoisseurs' engine and full-sized saloon body with typically English interior of leather upholstery and walnut facia and cappings have attracted buyers all over the world.
Jaguar D-Type was originally designed for the 1954 Le Mans 24-hour race-it came second to a much-larger-engined 4½-litre Ferrari, went one better in the ill-fated 1955 race when it came first (Hawthorn and Bueb driving) only to repeat the triumph (Sanderson and Flockhart driving) the following year. Limited numbers sold to the public.
Model 2.4 Litre został zaprezentowany jesienią ubiegłego roku. Jest znacznie mniejszy od Mark VII - rozstaw osi wynosi 273 cm. Napędzany jest nową wersją słynnego, dwuwałkowego sześciocylidrowca XK o pojemności zmniejszonej do 2,4 litra osiągającą moc 112 KM.
Mark VIII został pojawił się po raz pierwszy ma salonie samochodowym w Londynie. Jest to w zasadzie zmodernizowana wersja dotychczasowego Mk VII z panoramiczną szybą przednią, nieco zmienionym wlotem powietrza i tylnymi błotnikami. Napędzany jest tą samą jednostką R6 cyl o pojemności 3442 cm³ i mocy 210 KM.
A luxury version of the familiar Jaguar Mk. VII, to be known as the Mk. VIII, will be presented at Earls Court for the first time. It supplements the Mk. VII and in basic design is almost identical, but there are detail changes in its appearance which enable the two types readily to be distinguished. The radiator grille has been widened, and the upper section of its chrome surround is now separate and forms the leading edge of the rear-hinged one-piece bonnet. A single curved windscreen is fitted, eliminating the slight obstruction to view of the Mk. VII's centre dividing strip, but it has not been increased in depth. A chromed moulding strip runs along the body sides, to divide new two-tone colour schemes, and the rear wheel spats have been reshaped to lighten the appearance in that area and assist brake drum cooling. Interior appointments, approach the standards of the specialist coachbuilders, with extensive use of polished woodwork and fine quality hide trim. Flush-fitting folding tables, a cubby-hole and an electric clock are recessed into the backrest of the bench-type front seat, and there are lights in each roof quarter. There is a cigar lighter in each centre door pillar, and the Jaguar is one of the very few cars still to be supplied with a sunshine roof. Mechanically there are few changes. Type H.D.6 S.U. diaphragm carburettors are now fitted, and cylinder head porting has received some attention to improve the gas flow, but the claimed power output remains the same190 b.h.p, at 5,500 r.p.m. The customer has the choice of a synchromesh four-speed gear box, which may be supplemented by a Laycock-de Normanville overdrive operating on top gear only, or a Borg Warner fully automatic transmission. This incorporates a three-element torque converter and a hydraulically controlled three-speed and reverse gear train. An interesting complement to this transmission has been developed by the Jaguar design staff, to enable the driver to retain the intermediate gear. A manually operated over-riding control in the form of an electric switch on the dashboard energizes a solenoid, which in turn operates a hydraulic lock in the gear box. It will prove invaluable in heavy traffic and on steep and tortuous Alpine gradients. The Mark VII is already a criterion of quality and comfort in a high performance, moderately priced saloon. The Mark VIII now carries this reputation a stage further.
|1st||24h Le Mans||#4||D-Type||Flockhard/Sanderson|
|Targa Florio 10.06.1956||Results:|
|#114||C-Type||Margulies / Piper||21st||15th - sport||5th - over 2000|
|24h Le Mans 28.07.1956||Entrant:||Results:|
|#1||D-Type||XKD 605||Hawthorn / Bueb||Jaguar||6th||3rd - 3001-5000||11th|
|#2||D-Type||XKD 603||Frère / Titterington||Jaguar||acc.||-||-|
|#3||D-Type||XKD 602||Fairman / Wharton||Jaguar||acc.||-||-|
|#4||D-Type||XKD 501||Flockhart / Sanderson||Ecosse||1st||1st - 3001-5000||9th|
|#5||D-Type||XKD 573||Swaters / Rousselle||E.N.B.||4th||2nd - 3001-5000||10th|
|#6||XK 140||S804231||Walshaw / Bolton||Walshaw||dsq||-||-|
Jaguar D-Type, Ron Flockhart at Sebring.
D-Type at Le Mans.
24h Le Mans winner: D-Type (Ron Flockhart / Ninian Sanderson).
D-type w Le Mans.
With three outright wins, two seconds and one third place, together with the honour of being, in 1953, the first make to win at an average speed above 100 m.p.h., Jaguars have dominated the post-war series of races in much the same way that Bentley did up to 1930. Their chance of drawing level with Bentley and Alfa Romeo, each of whom have won the race four times, is well within the realms of probability this year. Three works cars are entered, and the results of fuel consumption tests in practice will determine how many of them will have fuel injection or carburettors. The new regulations demand an average fuel consumption of about 12 m.p.g. to provide a safety margin, and the greater economy possible with fuel injection may weigh the balance in its favour. The cars are basic D-type production units, similar in specification to last year's winning car. A neat solution has been reached for the full-width screen regulation this year. On the driver's side it is still fully wrapped round and merges into the head rest, with a joint in the portion occupied by the door. Instead of the previous metal tonneau cover over the passenger seat, a transparent plastic cover merges with the top of the screen to enclose the passenger's seat completely. In this way the eddies associated with an open screen have been avoided. In acCordance with the regulations there is an electric screen wiper on the driver's side. The same cylinder head as used last year-developed by Harry Weslake-is retained, with the inlet valves inclined at 35 deg and the exhaust at 40 deg from the cylinder centre line. Two plugs per cylinder were part of the original design, but development experience proved that dual ignition offered no advantages and only one plug is now used. There are modifications only in detail to the front and rear suspension. The diameter of the front anti-roll bar has been increased by 1/8 in to 11/16 in diameter to increase the roll stiffness. At the rear the live axle, located by a pair of parallel trailing arms, is retained, but an anti-roll bar connects the upper links on each side to increase roll stiffness at the rear. Fuel tankage, by regulations, has been reduced from 36 to 28 gallons (126 litres) and this, in conjunction with other small modifications, has reduced the overall weight by approximately 50 lb. Jaguars used fuel injection on one car at Sebring this year, and also at Rheims where they won the 12-hour sports car race, so that they have considerable race experience of this installation. In the Lucas system the fuel pressure pump is separated from the metering device, to eliminate vapour-lock troubles. There is an electrically driven fuel pump located at the rear of the car, which circulates the fuel continuously at 100 lb sq in, returning the surplus back to the tank. The pump incorporates a primary cloth filter as used on diesel engines; it feeds through a secondary filter, mounted on the bulkhead, to the metering distributor, which consists of a rotating sleeve, driven at camshaft speed from the front timing chain idler sprocket. The sleeve is hollow, and has one port for each cylinder. In the hollow portion of the sleeve a shuttle, or free piston, is forced back and forth by fuel under pressure, thus uncovering inlet and outlet ports. The travel of this piston is limited by a control stop, which is linked to a spring loaded air piston the position of which is varied by manifold depression. There is an external adjustment for changes in barometric pressure and air temperature. Fuel is delivered to the port by a spring-loaded, pintle-type nozzle which discharges at a pressure of 751b sq in, and sprays against the direction of the incoming air. The gate or slide-valve type of throttle is a single plate, with six holes corresponding in pitch and diameter with the ports. It is operated from a rack and pinion quadrant at the bulkhead end. This design ensures synchronization of opening, and gives an unobstructed path from the flared air intakes to the valve at the fully open position.