Ford Australia was founded in Geelong, Victoria, in 1925 as an outpost of Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited. At that time, Ford Canada was a separate company from Ford USA. Henry Ford had granted the manufacturing rights to Ford in British Empire countries (excepting the UK) to Canadian investors. Its first products were Model Ts assembled from complete knock-down (CKD) kits provided by Ford of Canada.
On March 31, 1925, Ford announced that Geelong, was to be the Australian headquarters. The first Australian-built Ford was a Model T that came off an improvised production line in a disused Geelong woolstore in June 1925, while work started on a factory in the nearby suburb of Norlane. Since 1928 the factory is assembling model As.