Classic Car Catalogue
Three wheelbase lengths: 3,250 mm (128.0 in) on the Turismo, 3,000 mm (118.1 in) on the Sport and 2,700 mm (106.3 in) on the Super Sport.
to pierwszy powojenny model Alfa Romeo, jednocześnie pierwszy
przeznaczony do masowej produkcji. Tym samochodem marka zamierza
zaistnieć w sektorze rynku zajętym dotychczas przez
Fiata i Lancię. Konstrukcja nie ma nic wspólnego z
dotychczasowymi, przedwojennymi modelami. Nowe jest samonośne, czterodrzwiowe nadwozie i czterocylindrowy silnik. To wielki
sukces, biorąc pod uwagę ogromne zniszczenia, jakim
uległa fabryka podczas bombardowań alianckich pod koniec
wojny. Prezentacja prasowa odbyła się 2 pażdziernika w hotelu Principe di Savoia w Mediolanie a oficjalna premiera miała miejsce na salonie w Paryżu.
Nino Farina zdobył mistrzostwo świata w wyścigach o Grand Prix na "158".
6C 2500 Freccia d'Oro
6C 2500 Supersport
6 C 2500 Villa d'Este by Touring
6C 2500 Cabriolet by Touring
6 C 2500 Turismo Pinin Farina
6C 2500 Freccia d'Oro
6C 2500 Supersport
6C 2500 Superleggera Touring
6C 2500 Cabriolet by Touring
6 C 2500 S Pinin Farina
The Motor YEAR BOOK, 1951 ALFA ROMEO 1900
The sensation of the Paris Show was undoubtedly the new 1.9-litre four-cylinder type which was introduced by Alfa Romeo following the appointment of Dott. Ing. Antonio Alessio as the new managing director. As compared with the 2½-litre model, the 1950 type shows an increase in output per litre together with a 30 per cent decrease in weight, so that the power/weight ratio has been enlarged despite the reduction in engine size. Similarly, the wheel base has been reduced from 9 ft. 10 in. to 8 ft. 8 in. but by reason of the shorter engine and the fact that it is placed further forward in the car, ample space is retained for the passengers, whilst a road speed of well over 90 m.p.h. has been attained on the prototype models. The four-cylinder engine has a typical Alfa Romeo appearance with chain drive to two overhead camshafts which operate inclined valves in the detachable cylinder-head.
The engine follows the modern practice of an almost equal stroke and bore, the ratio being 1.065 : 1, and, in consequence, nearly 40 h.p. per litre is realised at the moderate figure of 2.39 h.p. per sq. in. piston area, and at the conservative piston speed of 2,780 ft. per min. The peak of the torque curve is reached fairly high up in the revolution range, and in this respect the performance is almost identical with previous Alfa Romeo practice.
Power is taken through a normal single-plate clutch to an Alfa Romeo gearbox (having synchromesh on the three upper speeds) and the selector arms of which are worked by a linkage connecting to a lever on the steering column. The latter is very well raked, the Marles steering-box being mounted at the front end of the frame. A long, almost vertical, rocker shaft joins to a cross-linkage system mounted on the frame from which project two short track-rods, the geometry of which has been most carefully considered in relation to the roadwheel movement. A conventional live rear axle is connected to an extension from behind the gearbox by an open propeller shaft, and, as at the front so at the rear, the weight of the car is supported on coil springs. The rear axle is therefore located both lengthways and crossways by links, which also contain the driving and braking torque.
The braking system is of the Girling full-hydraulic type, with two trailing shoes on the front wheels, and the road wheels themselves are of the conventional presseddisc type but with wide-base rims.
The careful layout of the steering linkage, based upon a wealth of high-speed experience, the weight distribution and the choice of spring rates, all contribute to an altogether outstanding combination of soft ride with direct steering and high cornering power. In the last resort, however, these desirable qualities depend very largely on the stiffness of the basic structure, and in this respect the Alfa Romeo design displays considerable ingenuity.
The forward engine mounting and front-suspension system are located by two triangular pressings, which taper towards the forward end of the car. The upright of these triangles is welded on to a scuttle, which has a double side wall giving a complete box section at this nodal point in the structure of the car. As before stated, the body and "chassis" form one unit, which may perhaps best be regarded as a monocoque with powerful reinforcement in the shape of U-section longerons, half of which form the bottom sill of the body and the other half complete a box section to which the floor is attached.
In accordance with normal continental practice, a pressed-steel facia panel is used, and the general standard of interior trim is somewhat severe, not to say austere, by British standards, but full provision is made for the installation of heaters and radio sets, each of which may be considered as a sine qua non in the modern motor car. A number of British-made components are used by Alfa Romeo, and this practice is also followed in respect of the heating and ventilating systems. A duct from the front end of the car carries fresh air to a Gallay heater unit mounted under the scuttle, from which hot air may be distributed either to the interior generally or to demisting slots placed behind the fixed windscreen. A radio mast is a standard feature on the left-hand of the car and is of a three-piece type, reaching to a considerable height when fully extended.
Taking the broad picture, the most remarkable feature of the car is undoubtedly the exceptionally low all-up weight, particularly when this is related to the comparatively long wheel-base, the latter being between 3 in. and 5 in. longer than is common British practice on this size of car.
LINE AHEAD was the standard order of whatever number of Alfa Romeos were entered in 1950's races-except at Monza where the 41-litre Ferraris disrupted them. Here: Juan Fargio, now the fastest driver in Europe, running ahead of Giuseppe Farina at Bari, winner of the new title of World's Champion after his Monza victory. The later model 158 Alfa Romeo was said to develop 340 b.h.p.
Dwie Alfy Romeo 158 podczas wyścigu o GP Francji w Reims. Pierwszą prowadzi J. M. Fangio, drugą Faggioli.
The Motor YEAR BOOK, 1951 Alfa Romeo Type 158-9.
This car was originally conceived in the summer of 1937 to meet the requirements of the Scuderia Ferrari and the first cars were in fact partly constructed at the Modena Works of this concern. The engine was bench tested at Modena in 1938 and on its early runs gave 190 h.p. at 6,500 r.p.m. equal to 254 lb./sq. in. b.m.e.p. at 3,000 ft./min. The car made its racing debut during the year at Livorno developing 205 h.p. at 7,000 r.p.m. and during 1939 the output was raised to 225 h.p. at 7,500 r.p.m. (or 260 lb./sq. in. at 3,450 ft. min.). After winning the wartime Tripoli race in 1940 the cars reappeared in 1946 with engines giving 254 h.p. at 7,500 r.p.m., which figure was increased in 1947 to 265 h.p. at the same speed, equal to 306 lb./sq. in. b.e.m.p. Following trials of two-stage supercharging in the French Grand Prix of Rheims, 1948, power was raised to 310 h.p. at 7,500 r.p.m.
Subsequent developments of the two-stage blown engine have raised the output during 1950 to 350 b.h.p. at 8,500 r.p.m., this involving internal engine changes which have justified giving the car the new type number of 159. The general dimensions, however, remain unchanged with a wheelbase of 8 ft. 2½ in. and a track of 50 in. As can be seen from the illustration, the four-speed gearbox is combined with the bevel box. Final drive ratios varying between 4.1 and 6.1 are available and, the road speed on the highest ratio being approximately 22.5 m.p.h. at 1,000 r.p.m., the car has a speed of 170 m.p.h. at 7,500 r.p.m.
After standing idle in 1949, the cars were run in substantially the same form during 1950. Small gains in power resulted from detail changes to superchargers, and induction systems were coupled with a deterioration in fuel consumption which is now of the order of 1.6 m.p.g. These cars dominated the 1950 racing season and they won all the grandes épreuves except one in which they did not compete. With the single exception of San Remo circuit they made the fastest lap in every race they ran and established post-war record speeds both for laps and final averages.
FASTEST POST-WAR: With an engine having half the swept volume of the 1939 Mercedes-Benz the type 158-159 Alfa Romeo has proved only 4.6 per cent slower on average performances over comparable European circuits. This car won every race in which it was entered during 1950 and only once failed to make fastest lap.